Easy and versatile 6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken is a totally simple, completely delicious weeknight crockpot recipe that everyone will love! A healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free recipe.
“This twin mama thanks you for this tasty and quick meal option. My 10 month old twins thought it was tasty too!“ Erin S.
updated September, 2019
This Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken recipe makes a regular appearance at our house because it is just so darn simple and versatile, plus it uses ingredients that are likely on hand in the pantry and fridge or freezer.
No special trip to the grocery store required!
The saucy chicken is also free of artificial ingredients, preservatives, and is gluten-free and dairy-free so it will work for just about everyone.
This enchilada chicken is extremely versatile, as you can use it to make traditional enchiladas, or keep things simple and use it in tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, or over rice.
We like it tucked into warm tortillas, in lettuce wraps (Bibb or romaine lettuce work well), atop baked potatoes, on brown rice, or topping a heaping bed of greens.
After you throw this easy recipe in the slow cooker just put out additional toppings such as avocado, cilantro, radishes, sliced green onions, grated cheese, and/or sour cream and you’re good to go.
If you like spicy, go ahead and add a few healthy dashes of hot sauce, too.
A quite note that this recipe makes plenty of yummy enchilada sauce to go with the chicken, but if you prefer something a little less saucy, simple half the amount of tomato sauce used.
pin the image below to save for later!
Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 28-oz can tomato sauce
1 /2 to 1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Juice of 1 lime
Hot sauce (optional)
1. Add the sliced onions, tomato puree, salt, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
2. Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker, making sure it is well covered by the tomato mixture.
3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7, until the sauce has thickened, the onions are soft, and the chicken is falling apart.
4. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
5. Add the lime juice and additional salt if desired. Serve warm, adding hot sauce to taste.
Notes: Be sure to use canned tomato sauce in this recipe. Diced or whole tomatoes will not work well. Tomato sauce brands very in consistency from thin to thick, so if you want a thicker sauce add less tomato sauce.
let’s be insta friends!