Tender, juicy, and incredibly simple to prepare, Slow Cooker Garlic Balsamic Whole Chicken is bound to become your new go-to weeknight recipe.
Ummmm, you guys.
This whole chicken in a slow cooker? It's kind of a big deal.
It's basically everything you're looking for in an oven-roasted or rotisserie chicken, only way easier because all you need to do is to rub a chicken with some dried spices and drop it into a slow cooker along with some veggies.
Boom. So easy. So good.
I love that the veggies cook right along with the chicken, too, so it's basically an entire meal in one pot. Add a quick little spinach or romaine salad and dinner is completely done.
A 6-quart slow cooker definitely works best for this recipe, allowing enough room for all the veggies and the entire chicken.
I like this one, as I can set the timer and let it cook for the allotted time.
That way dinner cooks while I'm at work or while we're off playing on the weekend.
There really is nothing better than coming home to dinner already done.
Especially when it's this one!
This recipe is perfect for the warmer months because you can make an entire chicken dinner without heating up the house.
It's also just right for cooler months, as nothing is more homey or inviting than a whole chicken and veggies for dinner.
To make this chicken extra special, I added a quick garlic balsamic sauce to flavor during the cooking process and to serve alongside for drizzling or dipping.
If you're short on time, feel free to skip this step, but if you have a few extra minutes give it a try. It really takes the entire meal over the top.
I hope you guys love this one. Now, let's make Slow Cooker Garlic Balsamic Whole Chicken!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | If you're short on time or just want a basic option, skip the balsamic sauce and simply use the dried spice mix.
2 | Carefully transfer the chicken to a sheet pan and broil on high for a few minutes if you want the skin to be crispy.
3 | Serve the chicken whole, family style, or shredded with two forks.
4 | Store or freeze leftover shredded chicken for salads later in the week.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Whole30 and Paleo Friendly
Slow Cooker Garlic Balsamic Whole Chicken
For the Chicken
1 (4-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
1 pound baby potatoes, sliced into halves
1 pound carrots
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Garlic Balsamic Sauce
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1. In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
2. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the minced garlic, balsamic, and rosemary. Stream in the olive oil, whisking until well incorporated.
3. Add the potatoes and carrots to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add half the spice mixture (about 1 ½ teaspoon) and 1 tablespoon balsamic sauce, tossing to coat.
4. Sprinkle the remaining spice mixture on the chicken, rubbing to cover the bird and under the skin.
5. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.* Pour over 1 tablespoon balsamic sauce. Set aside the remaining balsamic sauce for serving.
6. Cover and cook until breast registers 165 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees, 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
7. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. It will be so tender that it may fall apart, though using two spatulas helps the process. If you’d like the chicken to have crispy skin, place it on a baking sheet and broil on high for 3-4 minutes.
8. Serve the chicken along with the potatoes and carrots, sprinkled with rosemary, and with the extra balsamic sauce on the side for drizzling or dipping.
*For a prettier presentation, place the chicken breast-side up. For juicer breast meat, place the chicken breast-side down.
Note: Strain the liquid left in the bottom of the slow cooker and use it to drizzle over the chicken in addition to the balsamic sauce, or as a base for soups or stews.
I used this 6-quart slow cooker for this recipe.