Sheet Pan Chicken, Kale & Sweet Potatoes is a super-simple and healthy 5-ingredient sheet pan recipe perfect for any night of the week!
Don’t we all need more sheet pan recipes in our lives?
First of all, I know we can all stand to do fewer dishes (can I get an amen?!?), and also just spend less time fussing with dinner in general.
When it comes to sheet pan recipes, I am absolutely in love with this combo of flavors, from the bright and sweet potatoes, to the earthy kale, to the meaty and satisfying chicken.
These ingredients are so much my jam, in fact, that I created a slow cooker soup recipe based on the same combo (you can find that recipe, here).
The slow cooker version has been so crazy popular with readers of Real Food Whole Life, in fact, that I decided to turn it into a sheet pan version.
The trick here is to roast the kale first, so that it gets crispy and almost nutty flavored.
Trust me, if you think you don’t like kale, give it one more chance: roasting it is a total game-changer.
Just be sure to keep a careful eye on it, as kale can go from perfectly crispy to burnt in a matter of a few minutes.
Next up comes the sweet potatoes and chicken, which roast in about the same amount of time.
You’ll just want to avoid overcrowding the pan so that so that things don't steam and instead get nice and golden brown
Make sure your oven is good and hot, too, to ensure proper roasting.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Now, let’s make some Sheet Pan Chicken, Kale & Sweet Potatoes.
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | If you’d rather skip the kale, just roast the sweet potatoes and chicken, then serve with some lightly dressed greens of your choice.
2 | Feeding a hungry family? Add some crusty loaf of bread on the side to round out the meal.
3 | Want to bump up the greens? Serve atop some baby spinach dressed in fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo, and whole30 friendly
Pin the Image Below To Save Sheet Pan Chicken, Kale & Sweet Potatoes to Pinterest for Later!
Sheet Pan Chicken, Kale & Sweet Potatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
¼ plus ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
4 cups packed chopped lacinato (dinosaur) kale
4 cups (1-inch chopped pieces) sweet potatoes
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
¼ teaspoon salt-free Italian seasoning
Fresh lemon juice for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Add the kale to the sheet pan, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt, and toss to combine.
3. Roast for 10 minutes, tossing mid-way through, until crisp and lightly browned. Set aside.
4. To the same pan, add the sweet potatoes and chicken. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the Italian seasoning, tossing to combine.
5. Spread into an even layer and roast for 30 minutes, tossing mid-way through, or until the chicken and sweet potatoes are golden and cooked through.
6. Serve the chicken, sweet potatoes, and kale with additional salt and a squeeze of lemon if desired.
This post contains affiliate links.