Super fresh and packed with flavor, Instant Pot Loaded Mexican Chicken Soup in a one-pot dinner you’ll want to make again and again. A gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 recipe.
Guys, can I tell you how excited I am about this soup?
First of all, since it’s made in an electric pressure cooker it’s practically hands-off.
Just a bit of chopping, a quick sweat of the onions, everything goes in the pot, and then you’re good to go.
Also, it’s just so full of goodness.
Tons of fresh veggies, protein-packed chicken, and a super-flavorful, nourishing broth; it’s all there in one big, beautiful bowl.
I love making a huge batch of this vibrant soup to eat for lunch all week long, and it also makes a lovely dinner any night of the week.
If you’re serving a family who doesn’t consider soup to be a meal, you can also add a side of cooked rice or even some quick quesadillas to round out the meal.
This is a great one to make if you have a bunch of farmers market veggies kicking around in your fridge, too.
I love making it in the warm months with the abundance of fresh produce, and also in the winter when my soul needs something warm and soothing.
Anyway you go, you can’t go wrong.
And, if you want to make this one in the Crockpot, check out this variation.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. Now, let’s make some Instant Pot Loaded Mexican Chicken Soup!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | For a vegetarian option, swap 2 (15-oz) cans drained and rinsed chickpeas for the chicken and vegetable stock for chicken stock.
2 | Skip the chili powder if you prefer to avoid spicy.
3 | Double the spinach or kale for an extra boost of goodness.
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo and whole30 friendly
Pin the Image Below To Save Instant Pot Loaded Mexican Chicken Soup to Pinterest for Later!
Instant Pot Loaded Mexican Chicken Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon mild chili powder
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
3 small zucchinis, sliced in half the long way, then sliced into 1-inch half moons
1 quart chicken stock
3 cups baby spinach or baby kale
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 limes, juiced
Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, chopped scallions, sliced avocado, lime wedges, hot sauce
1. Add the olive oil to an electric pressure cooker. Turn to saute, add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt and saute for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder, stirring to combine.
3. Add the chicken, tomato sauce, zucchini, remaining 1 ¾ teaspoon salt, and chicken stock, stirring to combine.
4. Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes.
5. When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
6. Remove the chicken, chop or shred into bite sized pieces and add back to the pot. Stir in the spinach or kale, cherry tomatoes, and lime juice. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Top with any toppings you like and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.
Want to make this recipe in the Crockpot? Check out this variation.
Make it vegetarian by swapping 2 (15-oz) cans drained and rinsed chickpeas for the chicken and vegetable stock for chicken stock.
This post contains affiliate links.