20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet is a super simple and crazy flavorful weeknight meal that everyone will love. A gluten-free, dairy-free, whole30, one-pan recipe.
Who else needs more one-pot meals in their lives?
I know I do, and you may have noticed that I’ve been sharing more and more recipes that require just one-pot or skillet around here for just that reason.
The truth is, as much as I prioritize putting a nourishing, healthy dinner on the table, I simply don’t love complicated, fussy recipes at the end of a long day.
And of course, any recipe that saves me from doing hours of dishes is good in my book.
This 20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet is such a winner, and is packed with vibrant flavors that will having you returning to it again and again.
Plus, hello, it’s all done in one skillet.
A quick note that you’ll want to use a skillet that has enough room for all the ingredients, preferably with a lid to cover.
Honestly, I used a baking sheet to cover, since my skillet doesn’t have a lid, so as long as you cover with something, you should be good to go.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Now, let’s make some 20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | Ground dark meat turkey or chicken will work in place of the beef.
2 | Skip the chili powder if you (or someone in your family) doesn’t like the heat, or double up if you like it spicy.
3 | This is a perfect one-pot meal, but if you’re feeding a crew of hungry people, offer tortillas, rice, or chips on the side to fill out dinner.
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo, and whole30
Pin the Image Below To Save Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet to Pinterest for Later!
20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound 10% ground beef (grass-fed if possible)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 cups (1-inch) chopped sweet potato
1 (15-oz) can petite diced tomatoes
¼ teaspoon mild chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup water
1 cup packed baby spinach
Juice of 1 lime
Optional toppings: sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, hot sauce
1. In a large, 10” skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and stir to break into small pieces.
2. Cook, stirring beef occasionally, until the beef is browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. To the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin ½ teaspoon salt, and stirring to combine. Add the diced tomatoes and water, stirring to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a splash more water if the pan starts to dry out.
5. Uncover, and add the cooked beef and spinach, cooking until the beef is warmed through and the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute, adding a splash more water if the pan is dry.
6. Add the lime juice, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve as-is, or with any topping you like.
Makes 3-4 servings
Notes: I used a half-sheet pan to cover to skillet while cooking the sweet potatoes.
This post contains affiliate links.