Sausage, Cabbage & Sweet Potato Stew is a super-simple, ultra comforting one-pot meal that comes together in a matter of minutes.
A cozy, delicious gluten-free, dairy-free, whole30 recipe that can be made in the Instant Pot, Crockpot or stove top.
Can I just say that I think cabbage is one of the most underrated vegetables out there?
Somewhere along the way kale got all the healthy veggie hype, but there’s more to life than kale, ya know?
I personally love cabbage because it’s packed with nutrients, is generally inexpensive, and cooks down into a silky, luscious texture.
Purple cabbage is a particular favorite around here, as it pairs so well with the rich flavors of sausage, which is the star in the hearty soup.
The prep on this soup is super minimal, and with a sharp knife you’ll be able to chop and drop in no time.
Be sure not to skip the apple cider vinegar at the end, it lends such a beautiful brightness of flavor about the low and slow cooking time.
I’ve added instructions for the Instant Pot, Crockpot, and stove top, so you’ll be able to whip this one up no matter what.
I love to round this meal out with some crusty bread or rice for hungry family members who don’t think soup counts as a meal.
A quick note, too, that the sweet potatoes will fall apart if cut into small pieces.
I kind of like the texture, but if you want them to stay in tact cut them a little larger.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Now, let’s make some Sausage, Cabbage & Sweet Potato Stew!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | Precooked chicken sausage will work in place of the polish sausage. The flavor won’t be quite as deep, but it will still be tasty!
2 | Look for a small head of purple cabbage for this recipe. If all you can find is a large head, and you don’t think you’ll use what’s left, ask your grocer to cut it in half for you.
3 | Russet potato would work in place of sweet potato.
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo and whole30 friendly
Pin the Image Below To Save Sausage, Cabbage & Sweet Potato Stew to Pinterest for Later!
Sausage, Cabbage & Sweet Potato Stew
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
6 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
2 cups chopped sweet potato, skin on is fine
2 pounds uncured nitrate/nitrite-free polish beef sausage, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 quart chicken stock
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Instant Pot Instructions
1. Add the onion, cabbage, sweet potato, sausage, salt, and stock to a 6-quart pressure cooker.
2. Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 5 minutes.
3. When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
4. Uncover, add the vinegar, and stir. Taste, adding additional salt if desired.
1. Add the onion, cabbage, sweet potato, sausage, salt, and stock to a 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
3. Uncover, add the vinegar, and stir. Taste, adding additional salt if desired.
Stove Top Instructions
1. Add the onion, cabbage, sweet potato, sausage, salt, and stock to a Dutch oven or large pot.
2. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, about 25-35 minutes. Uncover, add the vinegar, and stir. Taste, adding additional salt if desired.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Notes: I used Teton Water Ranch Polish Sausage for this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.