So fresh and simple to prepare, 20-Minute Turkey Tacos with Peach Basil Salsa are a flavor-packed, easy weeknight dinner everyone will love.
Well hello peach basil salsa! I'm so excited to share this fresh, seasonal, insanely easy salsa with you all. There's something about the sweet peaches combined with fragrant basil that just screams summer.
I first discovered this flavor combo when testing Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil and have been hooked ever since. Seriously, I can't get enough!
Since you all love 20-Minute Tacos with Apple Salsa, I thought I'd do a summery variation and switch things up with a fresh peach basil salsa in place of the apple version. Let me tell you, this one is a winner!
If you can get your hands on just ripe peaches, that are still a bit firm to the touch, grab them immediately and put them to use for this recipe. Extremely ripe peaches are likely to fall apart, so save those for eating directly out of hand.
The salsa is so perfectly lovely you may want to serve it as an appetizer on nights when you're not in the mood for tacos. Serve a giant bowl of homemade guacamole and a heaping bowl of the peach salsa, along with some chips for dipping, and you're all set. Summer eating at it's best.
Of course, you can also make these easy tacos when it's not peach season. Simply swap in defrosted peaches for fresh. Perfect when you want a taste of summer in the dead of winter. Now, grab some peaches, a handful of basil, and let's make some tacos!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Serve the tacos deconstructed by offering cooked turkey, a warmed tortilla, sliced peaches, and a few leaves of basil separately on a plate.
2 | Swap cilantro or fresh mint for the basil in the salsa.
3 | Use ground beef in place of the turkey.
4 | Make these tacos paleo- and Whole30-friendly by swapping lettuce wraps for tortillas.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
20-Minute Turkey Tacos with Peach Basil Salsa
For the Tacos:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped, divided
¼ teaspoons salt, divided
1 lb ground turkey, dark or light meat
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cumin
8 corn tortillas, warmed
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
Sliced avocado (optional)
For the Peach Basil Salsa:
4 ripe firm peaches, finely chopped
Juice of 2 limes
¼ yellow or white onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped basil
⅛-¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño (optional)
1. Set aside ¼ of the chopped onion in a medium bowl for the salsa.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the remaining ¾ of the chopped onion and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Sauté 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
2. Add the turkey, garlic, cumin, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Cook the turkey, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the salsa by combining the peaches, lime juice, onion, basil, jalapeño (if using), and salt in a medium bowl, stirring to combine.
4. Make the tacos by filling each tortilla with cooked turkey and topping with peach salsa.
Makes 8 tacos.