Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken with 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce is a crave-worthy dinner that can be prepped in minutes!
I'm pretty sure that peanut sauce is magical.
Really, peanut sauce on everything is my motto.
But, like all things, I don't feel like we need to fuss over the recipe.
A good, complex, nuanced peanut sauce is a thing of beauty for sure.
On a busy weeknight, though, I need simple. Give me alllllllllllll the 5-ingredient recipes.
Enter 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce. It is both simple and tasty, and can be made ahead during Real Food Fix meal prep.
Prepping sauces ahead is one of my absolute saving graces during the work week, and I highly recommend this little Real Food Fix tip, even if you're not big into meal prep.
Trust me, having a jar of this crave-worthy sauce made Ahead in the fridge makes pulling dinner together a no-brainer.
Once the sauce is made it's literally as simple as dumping the chicken into the slow cooker along with some of the sauce and hitting start.
Done and done.
Leftovers are perfect for repurposing throughout the week, too. You'll find all kinds of ideas for how-to in Real Food Fix, and I've also shared notes below.
I hope you'll make this one soon. Now, let's make some Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken with 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Swap almond butter for peanut butter, or use sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
2 | Broccoli and bell pepper make great veggie add-ins to this recipe, but feel free to skip them and serve with any lightly steamed or sautéed veggie you like.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Egg-Free
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken with 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce
5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce
⅓ cup natural peanut butter, at room temperature or melted*
1 garlic clove, finely grated or minced
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
4 tablespoons low-sodium, gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
4 tablespoon rice vinegar or fresh lime juice
⅓ cup warm water
Hot sauce to taste
For the Pulled Chicken + Veggies
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 cups broccoli florets**
2 cups sliced red bell pepper**
Chopped green onion and cilantro for serving (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, make the peanut sauce by whisking together the peanut butter, garlic, maple syrup, tamari, rice vinegar or lime juice and warm water until very smooth. Alternatively, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Add the chicken along with ⅓ cup 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce to a 6-quart slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
4. Remove the chicken, shred with two forks, or chop into pieces.
5. Meanwhile, add the broccoli and bell pepper to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes, until the veggies are just tender.
6. Add the chicken back the slow cooker along with the remaining 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce, stirring to combine. Alternatively, serve the chicken and cooked veggies in a bowl along with the juices that have accumulated in the bottom of the slow cooker.
In either preparation, drizzle the remaining 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce over top or on the side, sprinkle with cilantro and green onion, if using, and serve.
5. Use it in bowls, pasta, tacos, salads, stir-fries or mason jar salads.
Makes 4-6 servings.
*Since the consistency of natural peanut butter varies from brand to brand, you may need to add more (up to an additional ⅓ cup) if you prefer a very thick sauce. Alternatively, you can refrigerate the sauce to help it thicken a bit.
**Note that the veggies go into the slow cooker for a quick steam after the chicken has cooked all the way. The ingredients are shown altogether in the photo simply to give you sense of the ingredients.