Tender, lightly sweet, and bursting with berries, One-Bowl Blueberry Lemon Pancakes are simple to whip up and make for the perfect healthy weekend treat.
We are on a bit of a pancake kick around here.
Elle is going through a growth spurt, and seems to be a bottomless pit when it comes to her favorite meal.
I'm grateful for her appetite, since there are definitely times when I can't get her to eat even one bite.
It's funny how children's appetites seem to ebb and flow during different time in their development, and I always try to take advantage of her "hungry" times to fill her belly with as many real food recipes as possible.
Pancakes are definitely at the top of list when it comes to Elle's favorite meals, so we've been making batch after batch, and then freezing what we don't eat so we can reheat on busy weeknight mornings.
We love these One-Bowl Blueberry Mini-Muffins so much I thought I'd create a pancake version, with a little lemon to add some zing.
The flavor in these pancakes is spot on, and a healthy sprinkle of juicy blueberries really takes things over the top.
I like to serve a steaming hot stack of these lovelys with a drizzle of pure maple syrup for Elle and a smear of almond butter + blueberry jam for me. So good!
I hope you'll try this one soon. Now, let's make some One-Bowl Blueberry Lemon Pancakes!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Swap in any fresh berry or chopped fruit you have on hand.
2 | Top with maple syrup, or almond butter and blueberry jam. Yum!
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, and Vegetarian
One-Bowl Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
⅓ cup melted coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
3 large eggs
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 cups oat flour*
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk**
1 cup fresh blueberries
Pure maple syrup for serving (optional)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
3. Add the oat flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Stir until well incorporated. Pour in the milk and whisk until just combined.
3. Heat a large pan or griddle over medium heat. Add a bit of coconut oil, then ladle ¼ cup batter into the pan for each pancake. Top each pancake with a sprinkle of blueberries.
4. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until small bubbles start to form on the top of the pancake, then flip and cook on the other side for an additional 3-5 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Continue with the remaining batter.
4. Serve the pancakes warm, with additional blueberries and maple syrup if you like.
Makes 6 medium or 12 small pancakes.
*Make your own oat flour for this recipe by placing 2 cups whole rolled oats in a blender and blending until a coarse flour forms.
You can purchase pre-made oat flour at many grocery stores and natural food markets or online.
If you are gluten-free be sure to buy oats that are specifically labeled gluten-free.
**Substitute any kind of unsweetened milk to keep this recipe nut-free.