Super easy to throw together and incredibly versatile, Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Enchilada Chicken will be your new weeknight staple recipe!
You know those recipes that you keep in your back pocket for busy weeknights?
The ones you make over and over, because they don't take long to prep, everyone eats it, and the leftovers are super versatile?
Well, let me introduce to your new back pocket favorite.
Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken was one of the very first slow cooker recipes I ever posted here on the blog, and it pretty much sums up my style of cooking: simple, no-fuss, super-flavorful, and picky-eater friendly.
I make a version of this recipe virtually every week, and use it for everything from burrito bowls, to tacos, to taco salads.
So, when I finally decided to jump on the Instant Pot train, this was one of the first recipe I wanted to adapt.
There's really nothing better than throwing everything in, closing the lid, walking away for a few minutes, and coming back to tender, savory chicken waiting to be devoured.
Unlike the slow cooker version, I like to use the saute function to cook the onions first, adding a layer of flavor to the finished dish.
If you're really short on time you can skip this step, but I definitely recommend it.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy the chicken is on top of a bed of 3-Ingredient Sheet Pan Cilantro Lime Cauliflower "Rice", along with some sliced avocado, chopped pepper, and some pickled red onion. So good!
I hope you'll give this one a try soon.
Now, let's make some Instant Pot Enchilada Chicken!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Omit the onions for an even speedier version of this recipe.
2 | Rather make this one in a slow cooker? Check out this recipe!
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, Paleo, and Whole30
Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Enchilada Chicken
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 28-oz can no-sugar added tomato sauce
½ cup water
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Juice of 1 lime (optional)
Hot sauce (optional)
1. Set the saute function in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker for 8 minutes.
2. Add the olive oil, onions, ¼ teaspoon salt, and saute for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and chicken, stirring to combine.
4. Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes for fresh chicken, or 20 for frozen. If using frozen chicken, make sure it’s spread in an even layer, without sticking together.
6. When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
7. Remove the chicken, and shred or chop into bite sized pieces. Add back to the pressure cooker, stirring to combine. Taste, adding lime juice, hot sauce (if using), and additional salt or pepper if desired.
Makes 4-6 servings