This simple Crunchy Summer Veggie Lentil Salad brings together vibrant, crisp summer veggies into a satisfying meal in a bowl. I made this for my sister’s bachelorette brunch since she loves salads of this type for lunch or dinner. She’s gluten free, and hates onions, facts I took into consideration in selecting ingredients. You can use whatever veggies you like, though. Make it your own. The finished salad keeps well, so consider making a double batch and saving leftovers for easy meals on-the-go.
For the salad:
- 1 cup small brown lentils, uncooked
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ teaspoon saffron (optional)
- salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the lentils:
- Rise the lentils.
- Place in a sauce-pan and cover with at least two inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes until tender. Check for doneness around 20 minutes.
- When tender, turn off heat and add 1 teaspoon salt. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
Make the dressing:
- Whisk together the garlic, honey, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Toast the almonds:
- Over low heat, combine the almonds, olive oil, and saffron, stirring occasionally until toasted, about 5 minutes.
Assemble the salad:
- In a large bowl toss the warm, drained lentils with the dressing.
- Arrange the celery, corn, tomatoes, avocado, and almonds on top of the lentils.
- Toss, serve, and enjoy.