20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy-Free) is a super-fast weeknight dinner that’s as easy as it is delicious. A naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 recipe.
Are you a chicken pot pie fan?
I didn’t actually grow up eating the homestyle dish that often, but I know it’s a total comfort food classic, so I wanted to add my own spin on the favorite.
My first version is this Crockpot + Instant Pot version, which has been a huge reader favorite.
This time around I wanted to come up with a weeknight version, one that can be made on the stovetop with minimal fuss or prep.
Of course, this version is missing the crusty top, but I find it still hits all the classic notes, and it a lot lighter and easier to prepare.
The recipe is also naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, making it work even if you’re following a special diet.
This one will also work if you’re following a paleo or whole30 diet, just be sure to use a frozen veggie mix that doesn’t include peas or corn (a mix of frozen green beans and carrots would work well).
I love serving this atop rice, cauliflower rice, or with biscuits or muffins on the side, but it’s also just as delicious as a stand-alone one-pot meal.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Now, let’s make some 20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | Serve atop rice, cauliflower rice, or with biscuits or muffins on the side.
2 | Double the recipe for big families or large gatherings.
3 | Following a paleo or whole30 diet? Be sure to use a frozen veggie mix that doesn’t include peas or corn (a mix of frozen green beans and carrots would work well).
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo, and whole30
Pin the Image Below To Save 20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy-Free) to Pinterest for Later!
20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy-Free)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon no-salt added poultry seasoning
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
2 cups frozen vegetable blend (carrots, green beans, peas, corn; omit corn + peas for paleo/whole30)
2 teaspoons arrowroot powder*
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden on one side, flip, and cook 3-4 more minutes. Remove the chicken onto a plate or bowl and set aside.
2. Add the onion, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, and add the garlic, and poultry seasoning. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, vegetables, and 1 teaspoon of salt, stirring to combine. Cover, bring to a boil, then uncover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender and the chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.
4. Carefully ladle a few tablespoons of the broth into a bowl. Add the arrowroot, whisking until completely smooth. Add the arrowroot mixture back to the pot, stirring to combine. Simmer 1-2 more minutes, until it begins to thicken.
5. Taste, adding additional salt if desired.
Makes 4-6 servings.
*Arrowroot is a thickener similar to cornstarch. If you don’t have it or don’t want to use it, cornstarch can be used in its place.
Want to make it in the Crockpot or Instant Pot? Try this version.
This post contains affiliate links.