Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done with Jon Acuff
Jon Acuff is the New York Times-bestselling author of six books including his most recent, Finish.
He's helped some of the biggest brands in the world tell their story, spoken to hundreds of thousands of people at companies such as Microsoft, Nissan and Comedy Central, and been featured regularly on national media.
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE
Why Jon followed up his book Start with his current book, Finish to answer the question of how to actually reach your goals.
Shining light on why the middle is so hard.
Why perfectionism is one of the biggest hurdles to success.
What to do on the day after perfect, when things haven’t worked out.
Escaping all-or-nothing thinking when it comes to goals.
Reconciling the perceived definition of perfectionism with how it manifests in real life.
“Amazon has sold millions of imperfect, finished books.”
The significance of day 2 and day 13 in reaching your goals.
How cutting goals in half can help you succeed in the long run.
Secret rules and why they are keeping you from your goals.
Why being kind to yourself is the key to success.
How self-awareness leads to understanding secret rules and moving beyond them.
The importance of fun and how it contributes to success.
Why you can’t do it all, shouldn’t do it all, and how to let things go.
Shame is pretending you can do it all.
Using perfectionism to avoid the true work.
Being honest about your own failures and not painting a perfect picture of yourself to the people around you.
Remember one size doesn’t fit all. Always be editing, always be tweaking, always be curious.
A health goal isn’t turning you into a different person. A health goal is allowing you to celebrate you you already are even more.
HELP THE SHOW
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help more people find the show and I personally read each one. Here's how to do it:
- Launch Apple's Podcast app, then tap the Search tab.
- Enter The Feel Good Effect, then tap the Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast, then the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom, then tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review. Enter your nickname, then tap Send.
- The review won't show up right away, but it should be there within a day or so. Thank you so much for reviewing and helping the show!
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Join the community by subscribing to our email list and be entered to win a copy of Finish by Jon Acuff. Winners announced 9/27/201.