012 How to Create Healthy Habits from Day One with Catherine McCord, Weelicious + One Potato
In this episode we’re diving into developing healthy habits from day one, creating a balanced food philosophy, and raising children who listen to their bodies while still maintaining expectations around healthy eating with Catherine McCord of Weelicious and One Potato.
Catherine, mom to Kenya (9), Chloe (7) and Gemma (2), created Weelicious.com as a platform to show parents around the world how easy and beneficial it is to expose children to wholesome, delicious homemade food.
She is the author of multiple cookbooks, has a monthly “Snack Mom” column in Parenting Magazine, and has appeared in People, Self, Real Simple, the Today Show, among others.
In 2016, she founded One Potato, an organic family friendly meal delivery kit offering three meals a week that take around 30 minutes or less to prepare.
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE
How to create good eaters from day one.
Catherine’s philosophy about one family, one meal (and avoiding becoming a short-order cook).
Why everything leads to the next step.
Creating a balanced food philosophy of healthy nutritional meals with nutrient density (fruits, veggies, protein, fats and carbs) and also allowing for treats.
Raising children who listen to their bodies while creating expectations around healthy eating.
The Smoothie Project chart and how to create a nutrient-dense smoothie each day.
Creating structure while also allowing choice and freedom for children.
Incrementally introducing vegetables and fruits to get your child used to healthy options.
Knowing your child and shaping your approach based on their needs while holding the line on second meals.
Creating a list of the 10 foods you know your child loves and using it to build lunches around with some variations.
How Catherine created One Potato organic family meal delivery service.
The challenges of being an entrepreneur and balancing work and family.
Why you can’t do it all and letting things go without beating yourself up and why everything is a tradeoff.
Catherine’s definition of balance: feeling good and taking care of yourself.
Enter promo code FEELGOOD25 here for $25 off your first One Potato order.
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share it with a friend via Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter
HELP THE SHOW
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help more people find the show and I personally read each one. Here's how to do it:
- Launch Apple's Podcast app, then tap the Search tab.
- Enter The Feel Good Effect, then tap the Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast, then the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom, then tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review. Enter your nickname, then tap Send.
- The review won't show up right away, but it should be there within a day or so. Thank you so much for reviewing and helping the show!
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Lunch Packing Cheat Sheet
Download your cheat sheet to inspire and shop for real food lunches!