Five real food recipes, all weeknight friendly + gluten- and dairy-free.
vg: vegan | v: vegetarian | gf: gluten-free | df: dairy-free | p: paleo | ff: freezer-friendly
Slow Cooker Lentil Chili from Two Peas and Their Pod (vg, v, gf, df, ff)
- Omit the jalepeno in this recipe for those sensitive to heat, but be sure to serve with lots of toppings. Avocado and green onions are my favorite combo.
- This chili freezes well, so consider freezing leftovers for another night.
Asian Quinoa Meatballs from Damn Delicious (gf, df, ff)
- These easy meatballs are baked, not fried, making them easy for a weeknight. They are kid friendly, too. You may want to omit the sriracha if your kids are sensitive to heat.
- To make the sauce gluten-free, swap tarmari or coconut aminos for the soy sauce. To make it refined-sugar free, substitute honey for the brown sugar.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Bowls from Dishing Up the Dirt (vg, gf, df)
- Chop the sweet potatoes into small pieces prior to roasting and this is a 20 minute meal, perfect for any night of the week.
- Serve all parts of this bowl separately on the plate for picky eaters, and feel free to make the eggs any style. Scrambled will work just as well as fried.
Thai Beef with Basil from Shutterbean (gf, df, p)
- This recipe works equally well with grass-fed ground beef, ground turkey or chicken.
- Honey may be swapped for sugar to make this refined-sugar free. Tarmari or coconut aminos can be substituted for soy sauce to make this recipe gluten free.
Simple Swiss Chard Pasta from Love & Lemons (v, gf, df)
- This 15 minute meal is quite lovely. If you haven't tried it, give Swiss chard a try. It's quite tasty and super nutritious.
- Walnuts are a great option if you don't have pine nuts. Omit the cheese for dairy free.