Easy, versatile, and so tasty, this Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken is a weeknight go-to that everyone will love!
This Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken makes a regular appearance at our house because it is so simple and versatile, plus it uses ingredients that are likely on hand in the pantry and fridge or freezer. No special trip to the grocery store required. The saucy chicken is free of artificial ingredients, preservatives, and is gluten-free and dairy-free.
Elle loves this chicken so I haven’t had to make any special kid-friendly adaptations.
This enchilada chicken is extremely versatile. Serve it tucked into warm tortillas, in lettuce wraps (Bibb or romaine lettuce work well), atop baked potatoes, on brown rice, or topping a heaping bed of greens.
Add additional toppings such as avocado, cilantro, radishes, sliced green onions, grated cheese, and/or sour cream for a complete meal. If you like spicy, add a few healthy dashes of hot sauce and you’re good to go. As written, this recipe is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and refined sugar-free.
1 | Build a kid-friendly plate by serving some chicken along with a tortilla and various toppings.
2 | Allow your child to build a personalized taco or eat all the parts separately.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, and Paleo- & Whole30-Friendly.
Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 28-oz can tomato puree
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts (about 4 small or 3 large breasts)
Juice of 1 lime
Hot sauce (optional)
1. Add the sliced onions, tomato puree, ½ teaspoon salt, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder to a large slow cooker, stirring to combine.
2. Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker, making sure it is well covered by the tomato mixture.
3. Cook on low for 6 hours or until the sauce has thickened, the onions are soft, and the chicken is falling apart.
4. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
5. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon and lime juice. Taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and lime juice as necessary. Serve warm, adding hot sauce to taste.
Notes: This recipe was tested using a 6-quart slow cooker. Be sure to use tomato puree in this recipe. Diced or whole tomatoes will not work well.
FREE GUIDE TO STREAMLINED SLOW COOKING
Streamline your slow cooking process with prep tips + itemized grocery lists for my 5 most popular slow cooker recipes.