Naturally sweet, tangy and oh-so delicious, Slow Cooker Tropical Pulled Chicken is a breeze to throw together and makes for a healthy dinner everyone will love!
Pulled chicken in the slow cooker. It's easy to throw together with just a few ingredients, everyone in the family likes it, and the pulled chicken can be served in a number of different ways.
Taking one base recipe and using it in various meals throughout the week is essential for keeping weeknight cooking doable, and is how I stay sane as a working mama, while still eating real food.
I break down the process of cooking base recipes and using them in different meal types in Real Food Fix, and this tropical pulled chicken is the perfect example of the RFF concept in action.
Served pilled high on buns topped with slaw one night, wrapped in lettuce wraps another, or served with rice and roasted veggies another. Simple, versatile, and so darn delicious!
This pulled chicken gets a tropical twist from pineapple and ginger, lending a little natural sweetness and zip without being cloying or spicy.
It's a fun way to get a taste of summer, without heating up the kitchen.
I hope you'll give this one a try soon. Now, let's make some Slow Cooker Tropical Pulled Chicken!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Serve the pulled chicken in buns, in bowls, or as a filling for lettuce wraps.
2 | Use boneless, skineless chicken breasts or thighs, whichever you prefer.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Naturally-Sweetened, Nut-Free and Egg-Free
Slow Cooker Pulled Tropical Chicken
¼ cup reduced sodium (gluten-free) tamari*
1 (8-oz) can crushed pineapple
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
5-Ingredient Everyday Creamy Cabbage Slaw, for serving (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, crushed pineapple, tomato paste, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger and salt. Scoop ¼ cup of the mixture and set aside.
2. Add the chicken to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the remaining sauce, turning the chicken to coat.
3. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
4. Uncover and shred the chicken with 2 forks. Add the remaining ¼ cup sauce, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
5. Serve the chicken warm on buns, in bowls, or in lettuce wraps with Creamy Cabbage Slaw, if desired.
Notes: All slow cookers are different, so you may need to adjust the time up or down depending on your particular model.
*Look for gluten-free tamari near the soy sauce. If gluten is not an issue for you, reduced sodium soy sauce may be used in its place.