Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken (Pollo Asado) yields bright citrus flavors and tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone chicken. A super easy recipe with delicious results!
You guys. It's August. How did this happen?
Every year I think summer is going to be this amazing, relaxing time to slow down and enjoy the long days and warm weather.
Instead it turns into a whirlwind of entertaining and guests and projects and trips and work and driving an energetic four year-old around to a million different camps.
It's fun. I love it. I do. But it's a lot.
FREE GUIDE TO STREAMLINED SLOW COOKING
Streamline your slow cooking process with prep tips + itemized grocery lists for my 5 most popular slow cooker recipes.
One thing that is saving us this summer is the slow cooker. I know people often think of the slow cooker for hearty fall and winter soups and stews, but it's also a game changer for the warmer months when routines get wonky and there's less time to cook.
This recipe is really perfect any time of year, but the bright citrus flavors just feel like summer. I'll definitely be making this one in the cold months to lighten up the dark days.
My inspiration for this recipe came from The Pioneer Woman's Pollo Asado, which she marinates and grills. I wanted a slow cooker shortcut, and I think it works really well with the low, slow cooking time. Especially with a blast under the broiler to crisp up the skin. So yummy!
Ree (aka The Pioneer Woman) serves hers with warm tortillas, beans, and pico de gallo. The woman just gets me.
You can, of course, serve the chicken with rice or cauliflower rice, a big salad and maybe some roasted veggies. The flavors are so versatile they work well with just about anything.
The ingredient list is short, too, making it the perfect standby for late in the week when you're low on ingredients and on time. I hope you all enjoy. Now, let's make some Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | If you don't have lemons and limes, just use 4 lemons or 4 limes.
2 | Serve the chicken on the bone, or shred the meat and serve in rice bowls or in tacos with beans, pico de gallo, guacamole or sliced avocado, and plenty of hot sauce.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken (Pollo Asado)
2 medium oranges, juiced (save the orange halves)
2 lemons, juiced (save the lemon halves)
2 limes, juiced (save the lime halves)
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
1 pound bone-in chicken thighs
1 pound bone-in chicken legs
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange, lemon, and lime juice along with ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside ¼ cup of the citrus mixture.
2. Place the chicken thighs and legs into the base of a 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, then pour over the remaining citrus mixture. Nestle in the onion pieces, garlic cloves, and citrus halves.
4. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6, or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
5. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Discard the citrus pieces. Place the legs and thighs onto a metal baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons citrus mixture, then broil on high 5-10 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
6. Pour the remaining citrus mixture over the chicken and serve immediately. Alternatively, if you prefer to skip the broiler, simply remove the skin and serve the chicken shredded off the bone with the citrus mixture on the side for dipping.
Notes: Strain the liquid left in the base of the slow cooker and use it as you would chicken stock.
Recipe inspired by The Pioneer Woman's Pollo Asado
Join the Newsletter
New recipes, posts, and a free weekly meal plan + grocery list & meal planning printable.