Packed with chicken and vegetables, Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) is made with real food ingredients and tastes amazing!
Guys. This is chicken pot pie.
And it's made in the instant pot or slow cooker.
And without any processed ingredients. A
nd it's ahhhhhhmazing.
Okay, so it's not exactly chicken pot pie, as it clearly doesn't have the pastry topping.
But it is just like the filling of a pot pie, and full of all the good stuff: juicy chunks of chicken, tons of vegetables, and a creamy, savory sauce.
This recipe is actually comes from a reader request, and at first I had no idea how to recreate such a rich, dairy-heavy dish, especially one that's usually made in the oven.
After several failed trails, however, I settled on this version, which is packed with chicken, vegetables, and a creamy broth that comes together with the addition of full-fat coconut milk.
I couldn't be more excited with how it worked out!
If you're worried about coconut milk, don't be.
The final dish doesn't taste like coconut, it just tastes smooth and slightly creamy.
The broth itself is light, since it doesn't use flour as a thickener, but the flavor is still there and it maintains the same spirit of its heavier, cream-based cousin.
I purposely left the ingredient list short on this one so you can whip it up any night of the week without fuss.
It also freezes well, so if you have leftovers and don't feel like eating it over and over, simply pop a few single servings in the freezer and enjoy it later in the month.
I have a feeling this will become a new weeknight staple, due to its ease of preparation and amazing flavor. I hope you'll make it soon.
Now, let's make some Instant-Pot Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Instant Pot Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
2 cups chopped yellow onion
3 cups chopped carrot
2 cups chopped celery
1 teaspoon kosher salt
32-oz chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted (omit for paleo or whole30)
¾ cup full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
Instant Pot Instructions
1. Add the onion, carrot, celery, salt and chicken stock to a 6-quart pressure cooker, stirring to combine. Add the chicken and bay leaf, stirring again.
2. Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes for raw chicken or 20 minutes for frozen chicken. If chicken is frozen be sure it's spread in an even layer and stuck together.
3. When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
4. Remove the chicken and cut into 1-inch pieces or shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to the pressure cooker along with the coconut milk and peas (if using). Taste and add additional salt if desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions
1. Add the onion, carrot, celery, salt and chicken stock to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine. Add the chicken and bay leaf, stirring again.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours, or until the veggies are very tender and the chicken is cooked through.
3. Remove the chicken and cut into 1-inch pieces or shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker along with the coconut milk and peas (if using). Taste and add additional salt if desired.
Makes 4-6 servings.