Light, bright, and perfect for summer, Slow Cooker Balsamic Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken is super easy to prepare and so delicious.
If there are three flavors everyone in my family can agree on they are tomatoes, basil, and balsamic. I could cook pretty much anything, and if I topped it with this magic trio, everyone would be happy.
Lately, too, we've been going through a serious slow cooker pulled chicken phase. I make either Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken, Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken, or 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken at least once a week, because they are so easy to throw together.
Also, Elle currently loves pulled chicken. Especially when I serve it plain, without any sauce. And since I'm always looking for ways to get more protein into my carb-loving four year-old, pulled chicken is on our menu more and more these days.
Given our love for all these things it's amazing that I never thought of putting them all together before.
FREE REAL FOOD WHOLE LIFE QUICK START GUIDE
4 Changes. 30 Days. Kickstart your Real Food Whole Life with my Quick Start Guide. Use the included tracking sheet and you'll love the change after just one month.
But the idea came to me the other day, and after tinkering around with the recipe I landed on a version that will likely be on our menu every week all summer long.
The trick to keeping this recipe tasting fresh is making the tomato-balsamic-garlic mixture, tossing some of it with the chicken during the cooking process, then serving the remaining mixture on top with a generous sprinkling of basil at the end.
The short list of ingredients makes this one easy to make during a busy work week. Just grab a few pints of tomatoes and a handful of basil from the farmer's market (or your backyard garden) and you're good to go. Now, let's make some slow cooker balsamic tomato basil pulled chicken!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Serve the chicken shredded, prior to adding back to the slow cooker for resistant eaters. Offer sliced cherry tomatoes on the side.
2 | Serve with a side of veggies, in a rice bowl, or tossed with freshly cooked pasta.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Slow Cooker Balsamic Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
1 ½ pounds Roma or cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped (about 5 cups total)
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
¼ cup thinly sliced basil
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the garlic, tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
2. Add 2 cups of the tomato mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, then add to the slow cooker. Top with an additional 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Set aside the remaining tomato mixture, covered, for serving.
3. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.
4. Remove the chicken to a cutting board or plate, shred with two forks, then return to the slow cooker, stirring to combine with the tomatoes and juices.
5. Serve the chicken, topped with the remaining fresh tomato mixture and sprinkled with basil.