Did you know that next Tuesday is Cinco de Mayo? I’m always down for an excuse to eat Mexican food so thought it would be fun to devote this week’s Real Food Meal Plan to healthy Mexican-inspired meals. There’s so much variation in this week’s plan, too, from saucy enchilada chicken, to tostada bowls, chili-lime grilled veggies, fish tacos with a bright tangy slaw, and finally a south-of-the-boarder chicken soup. Definitely something for everyone. So make your list, grab some limes, and throw yourself a week-long fiesta!
vg: vegan | v: vegetarian | gf: gluten-free | df: dairy-free | p: paleo | ff: freezer-friendly
Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken from Real Food Whole Life (gf, df, p, ff)
- Make a big batch of this enchilada chicken and use it however you like. Tacos, in a salad, in a burrito, the options are endless!
- Prefer chicken thighs? Go ahead and substitute them for chicken breasts in this recipe.
Vegetable Fajita Tostada Bowl from Iowa Girl Eats (vg, v, gf, df)
- This fresh, healthy 20-minute meal couldn't be easier. You're going to love it.
- If you don't have time to make guacamole use sliced avocado instead.
Blackened Fish Tacos with Cabbage Mango Slaw from Skinny Taste (gf, df)
- These fish tacos are super tasty and the slaw adds a little something special.
- Make your own blackening spice mix if you don't have all the ingredients on hand using what's available and what you like. A cast iron skillet on the grill is a great cooking option that will keep the fish smell out of the house.
Chicken Posole from What's Gaby Cooking (gf, df, p, ff)
- Posole is essentially a Mexican-style chicken soup. This version is fast, easy and super tasty.
- Look for canned hominy in the Mexican food section of your grocery store.
Chile-Lime Grilled Veggie Skewers with Warm Tortillas from Love & Lemons (vg, v, gf, df, p)
- These veggie skewers are bight and flavorful. If you want some additional protein double the marinade and use it on chicken, steak of shrimp.
- Tuck the grilled veggies into warm tortillas, on top brown rice, or mixed into your favorite salad greens.