Creamy, dreamy, and totally dairy-free, Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup comes together in a matter of minutes thanks to the magic of the pressure cooking. Say hello to your new favorite soup!
Is there anything more comforting than a warm bowl of creamy tomato soup?
I think not.
Case in point: Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Soup.
It's perfect for snow days, rainy days, or anytime you want a bowl full of comfort.
Since I recently discovered the world of electric pressure cooking, I've been working on adapting some of our favorite slow cooker recipes for the Instant Pot.
And let me tell you, this one is an absolute winner.
The soup itself is packed with tomato flavor from canned and dried tomatoes, plus tomato paste.
Then cashews are blended in to provide a luscious creamy flavor without the cream, making it perfect if you're avoiding dairy, following a plant-based diet, or just looking to try something a little different.
If you want a nut-free alternative, feel free to add a half cup of heavy cream in place of the cashews.
Using an electric pressure cooker allows this soup to come together extra fast, and you can basically just set it and walk away.
Now that's my kind of cooking!
I hope you enjoy this healthified version of a classic.
Now, let's make some Instant Pot Dairy-Free Creamy Tomato Soup!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Looking for a nut-free alternative? Swap in a half cup of heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk for the cashews.
2 | I love serving this soup with One-Bowl Cornbread Muffins.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free)
½ cup raw, unsalted cashews
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced or grated
1½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 (28-oz can) crushed or diced tomatoes
⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1/4 cup chopped basil (optional)
1. Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover with boiling or very hot water. Set aside.
3. Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and saute for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the stock, crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and 1 ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine.
5. Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes.
6. When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
7. Drain and rinse the cashews. Place into the pressure cooker, along with the honey (if using) stirring to combine.
5. Using an immersion blender, blend until well combined and very smooth, about 2 minutes. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle the cooked tomato mixture into a blender, working in batches. Make sure the lid is on tightly, cover with a towel, and blend until well combined and very smooth.
6. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve hot, topping with scallions and basil if you like.
Adapted from Slow Cooker Creamy Dairy Free Soup