This simple Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Avocado Cherry Tomato Salad takes just minutes to prepare and is bursting with fresh flavors. Grab a few simple ingredients and grill this one up tonight!
Summer is definitely the season for simple cooking. Throw something on the grill, make a quick salad and dinner is done. Of course, the grilled something + salad routine can get a little boring after awhile, and I'm always trying to think of ways to mix things up a little. Enter this Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Avocado Cherry Tomato Salad.
To jazz up the typical grill night, this recipe takes advantage of a few simple pantry ingredients to create a flavorful marinade for the chicken. Once marinated, the chicken gets a quick grill while the quick salad comes together. Chop some tomatoes, avocado, shallot and basil and the salad is ready to top the warm grilled chicken. A perfect summer meal you'll want to make again and again.
If you're not a tomato fan consider swapping in roasted red peppers. The salad also works beautifully with fresh mozzarella in place of avocado. As written, this recipe is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo, Whole30 & barre3 Challenge friendly.
Kid-friendly notes. The simple flavors of the chicken and salad is pretty kid-friendly, but here are some options for resistant eaters:
- Grill one or two chicken breasts simply seasoned with salt, skipping the marinade.
- Serve the salad parts separately, offering a few cherry tomatoes and sliced avocados on the side.
- This tip has been working well for us lately: offer a toothpick so your child can make tomato, chicken and avocado "lollipops." Make sure your child is old enough to handle a toothpick safely before trying this option.
Now, onto the recipe!
Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Avocado Cherry Tomato Salad
For the Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup olive oil
For the Salad:
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large ripe avocado, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup basil, thinly sliced
pepper (to taste)
1. In a small bowl combine 2 minced garlic cloves, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ olive oil. Whisk to combine.
2. Place the chicken in a large baking dish and pour over the marinade. Toss to coat and let marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
3. Remove the chicken from the baking dish, discarding the marinade. Grill the chicken over medium heat, flipping once, for 8-12 or until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle.
4. While the chicken is grilling, combine the tomatoes, avocado, 1 minced garlic clove, shallot, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, basil, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir gently to combine.
5. Remove the chicken from the grill. Serve with the salad on top or alongside.
Making this recipe? Let me know what you think, if your family liked it, and any adaptations you make in the comments. I really do love hearing from you! And be sure to tag #realfoodwholelife on Instagram so I can see what you're making!
To follow along with Real Food Whole Life and for healthy recipes, meal plans, and tips straight to your inbox, subscribe here.