A sweet and savory summer wonder, this simple, healthy Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil is easy to make, tastes amazing, and will keep your kitchen cool through the warm months ahead.
I love using my slow cooker all year long. In the winter it's a no-brainer, churning out warming and hearty soups and stews. It's also the perfect warm weather solution, helping to get dinner on the table without heating up the kitchen.
I wanted to come up with a fresh new summer inspired slow cooker recipe so when I saw fresh peaches coming into the market I knew they should be paired with basil in this oh-so-simple dinner. All you have to do is throw these simple ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on, and a few hours later you'll have an amazing meal just waiting to be served.
FREE GUIDE TO STREAMLINED SLOW COOKING
My five most popular slow cooker recipes along with tips for streamlined prep + itemized grocery list!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription and to download the free guide.
I find that slow cooker recipes can be a little flat after cooking for hours, so for this recipe I add a splash of vinegar and extra pinch of salt at the end of the cooking process to brighten up the flavors. I also top the cooked shredded chicken with sliced peaches and plenty of basil to kick up the summer flavors.
You can serve this chicken as-is, or atop greens or brown rice. Add a veggie along side to round things out. Simple steamed broccoli or snap peas are a great choice. Andrew and I also added plenty of hot sauce for a little something extra. This dish is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, paleo, and Whole30 friendly.
Kid-friendly notes. The familiar flavors of this peach chicken will appeal to many kids, but here are some options for resistant eaters:
- Omit the onions from the recipe if you have an onion-hater. The dish will be fine without them.
- Let her shred the chicken with you in the kitchen. Helping with the prep may inspire her to try something new.
- Set aside and serve him some plain shredded chicken prior to adding the rest back to the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Serve the basil on the side.
Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large white or yellow onion, very thinly sliced
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
6 peaches (no need to peel), sliced
¼ cup tightly packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
1. Place the sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and vinegar. Stir in peach slices from 4 peaches, then nestle the chicken breasts into the mix making sure they're covered with some of the peach-onion mixture.
2. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 5 hours.
3. When ready to serve turn off the heat, remove the chicken breasts, and stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Stir to combine.
4. Shred the chicken with two forks, then return to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
5. Serve the shredded chicken over rice, greens or on its own. Top with the remaining sliced peaches and plenty of basil. Add hot sauce to taste and serve.
Notes: I used a 6-Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe.