A quick, simple dinner recipe, 20-Minute Spaghetti with Chicken and Veggies comes together in minutes and is full of bright and satisfying flavors.
I'm a little late getting this post up because I was at the hospital most of the day yesterday meeting my new niece! My sister and her husband (remember their baby shower brunch?) welcomed baby Ayla to the world yesterday morning, and we are all thrilled to add another girl to the family.
I'm from a family of three girls, my only two cousins on my Dad's side are girls, and so far my sister and I have each had a girl, so we like to joke that the Conley's are incapable of having boys. My dad is one lucky papa!
My sister and Ayla are both doing great, and it was so special to be able to hold her on her very first birthday. I love being an aunt, and I can't wait to watch her grow up and for Elle to finally have a cousin on this side of the family to play with!
Anyway, this pasta is a perfect light spring dish, and just the thing to celebrate the newness and freshness of the season. It's exactly the kind of dinner I'll be making for my sister, since it's packed with protein, veggies, and healthy carbs. She's also gluten-free, and temporarily dairy-free, so this one's perfect for her as well.
I use just a half a pound of pasta in this recipe because I like to keep the ratio of pasta to chicken and veggies relatively low. You can, of course, cook up a pound of pasta if you're feeding a hungry crowd. Just add a splash more chicken stock to stretch the sauce.
You can also play around with the protein, swapping in white beans, ground turkey, or even shrimp. The veggies are flexible, too, so feel free to make this one your own. Now, let's make some spaghetti!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Replace the chicken with a can of rinsed, drained white beans for a vegetarian version.
2 | Swap in ground turkey for the chicken.
3 | Use green beans or sugar snap peas in place of the asparagus.
4 | Serve each part of the dish separately for resistant eaters. Think pasta with a drizzle of olive oil or a little butter, cooked chicken, and a few raw cherry tomatoes and pieces of cooked asparagus.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Nut-Free
20-Minute Spaghetti with Chicken and Veggies
½ pound whole wheat or gluten-free spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
½ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package direction, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and cooked until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken, setting aside. Add an additional 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, stirring often, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the asparagus, tomatoes and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Pour in the chicken stock, add the chicken back to the pan, and simmer everything together on medium for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the cooked, drained pasta to the pan, tossing to combine. If the sauce is a bit dry, add a splash more chicken stock. Drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with basil and parsley. Taste and add additional salt or lemon juice if you like. Serve warm.